King Edward Memorial Hospital
Department of Nursing and Midwifery Education and Research (DNAMER)
Mandatory training and competencies
The mandatory training checklist allows you to document the completion of mandatory training requirements. This checklist and the accompanying evidence of completion (certificates) should be included in your professional portfolio. This checklist is applicable to all Nurses and Midwives at KEMH.
At KEMH there are a number of clinical skills that require successful completion of a competency process. Staff who have previously attained competency are not required to complete a new competency document. For those staff with previous undocumented competency, recognition of prior learning (RPL) should be discussed with their Manager and acknowledged on the competency checklist.
- Determine whether the competency is appropriate/achievable
- Understand competency requirements and plan how you will achieve the requirements
- Determine who competent staff are within your area
- Discuss assessment report with supervisor prior to performing the competency
- Complete competency requirements
- Provide a copy to CDM/N for ALESCO recording of achievement
- Retain competency documents in portfolio
- Maintain competency checklist
- Ensure theoretical requirements (if applicable) have been completed
- Assess level of experience and required supervision
- Review assessment report prior to supervision to determine assessment requirements
- Discuss and complete assessment report following supervision
- If competency requirements have been met “sign off” Part A - requirements
The competency checklist allows you to maintain a record of clinical competency skills that are relevant to you. This checklist and the accompanying evidence of achievements should be included in your professional portfolio.
These are the current acceptable versions of KEMH competency requirements, records and assessment reports. Please contact your Clinical Development Midwife/Nurse or Clinical Midwifery/Nurse Consultant for more information if required.
Adult PIVC insertion - Part A Part B
Adult venepuncture - Part A Part B
Basic ultrasound scanning (midwives) - Part A Part B Part C Part D
Epidural analgesia administration - Part A Part B
Full physical examination of the Newborn - Part A Part B Part C Part D
IV Morphine - Part A Part B
Neonatal IV medication administration - Part A Part B
Perineal suturing - Part A Part B Part C Part D
Pap smear provider - refer to course facilitator
Rectus sheath analgesia administration - Part A Part B
Transcervical foley insertion:IOL - Part A Part B
Trophon™ competency - Part A Part B
Water birth - Part A Part B Part C