King Edward Memorial Hospital
Genetic Services of Western Australia
Patients and their Families
What to expect at my appointment?
This is an opportunity for you to talk about any concerns you have. We will review your family health history. Sometimes we may need to gather more information and arrange further tests.
Every appointment is different but common services that we provide include:
- an opportunity to ask questions
- an assessment of risk of developing a condition or health conditions as a result
- advice as to whether genetic testing may be an option
- recommendations for screening and minimising your risk
- support and counselling for those who are identified as at risk or diagnosed with a genetic condition
Appointments may take up to 1 hour and you may need more than one appointment. You are also welcome to bring a family member or another support person to your appointment.